Photo Galleries

  • The Class of 1966 Environmental Center was and continues to be an impressive planning and design feat. The Living Building Challenges is strict in its implementation, and these images give a peek into the process of making the building a reality.

  • Living Building Challenge (LBC) buildings must have a certain percentage of their site dedicated to edible landscaping / food production.  For our village/campus transect, the '66 Environmental Center must have 35% of its site in food production.  Therefore, the solar panels and plants are vying for the sun's rays on the site.  The food-producing plants on our site include perennials such as rhubarb, asparagus, strawberries, horseradish, walking onions, and Jerusalem Artichoke; high bush blueberries including raspberries, blackberries, cranberries, and currants; an annual vegetable garden managed by the student gardening group the Williams Sustainable Growers; low-bush blueberries as groundcover across numerous sections of the site; and a fruit orchard that includes apple, peach, pear, and quince trees.

  • As a 24/7 operating building, the Class of 1966 Environmental Center is always a popular spot. From studying to holding classes and faculty meetings to extracurricular activities, the building is loved and used by the whole community.

  • First steps

    The moving and situating of the old Kellogg House.  All images were taken by Nicholas Whitman.

     

    The Fixing up of Kellogg House and the Beginning of the new Building

    All images were taken by Nicholas Whitman.

    Getting Close

    All images were taken by Nicholas Whitman.

  • First steps

    To make room for the Library Project and for the resulting move of Kellogg House, trees (mainly pine, fir and black locust) needed to be cleared from the site.  Logs were shipped to two nearby mills and milled lumber returned and was incorporated in the '66 Environmental Center.  All images were taken by Nicholas Whitman.

    Recycling Matt Cole

    This slide group portrays the sequential dismantling of the Matt Cole Library, which was constructed as an attachment to Kellogg House in 1995.  All images were taken by Nicholas Whitman.

    Recycling Seeley

    Seeley House, used since 1868 as the home of the College carpenter, as faculty and student housing, and as a home for the Economics Department, was deconstructed and recycled in the summer of 2011 as part of the clearing to make room for the Library Project and for the Environmental Center. Deconstruction showed that Seeley was a complex building formed around two early 19th century buildings that were brought together in 1868, and modified extensively in subsequent decades.  All images were taken by Nicholas Whitman.